10 Memorable Things to do on Thanksgiving Besides Eat
Start some new traditions this year at Thanksgiving and make it more memorable and fun! Here are some ideas:
1. Have each family member bring 2 or 3 old pictures. Place them all on a table, and each person randomly draws a picture and tries to tell who is in the picture, when it took place, and the circumstances around the picture. This is a great way to share old memories, and even learn something new about family members.
Everyone will learn something new and increase their knowledge of the origin of Thanksgiving. Year to year, you may have to dig deep to find more difficult questions! Here are some facts to get you started at The Holiday Spot.
3. Make “warm fuzzies” for each other. Have a container filled with pieces of cardstock with each guests’ name on a paper. Each guest will draw a name and write why they are thankful for that person.
Later, each person reads off the name they received and what they wrote about that person, and then give it to them for a keepsake. This is something I used to do with my students when I was a teacher, but it would work great in a family setting too! A great opportunity to make someone else feel good!
8. Volunteer together at a soup kitchen. What a great way to teach compassion and demonstrate a giving heart to your children while helping others.
9. Everyone go together to take a plate of food or visit someone in the nursing home or hospital. This small gesture can mean so much to someone! If you take food, just be sure to check and see if they may have diet restrictions.
10. Make time for laughter and fun! Play an active game together like Charades or Touch Football.